The Texas Delegation to the American Medical Association House of Delegates will be a very busy bunch when the AMA meeting convenes in Chicago on June 13. In addition to celebrating the installation of Jim Rohack, MD, as the new AMA president, we are asking the house to back two Texas candidates for office and five resolutions from our own House of Delegates. They include:
- Electing Fort Worth plastic surgeon Larry Reaves, MD, to the AMA Council on Constitution and Bylaws; and Dallas internist Lynne Kirk, MD, to the Council on Medical Education;
- A resolution calling for legislation mandating clear and transparent health insurance company language so patients know their financial responsibility when receiving care out of network;
- A resolution calling for legislation requiring insurers to adopt standardized verbiage spelling out coverage for preventive care, including adequate payment for recommended vaccines;
- A resolution calling for the use of standard commercial physician payment rates in all government health care benefit programs;
- A resolution requiring all Medicare patients to register the advance directive of their choice; and
- A resolution asking AMA to help physicians and medical staffs establish transparent policies to implement and conduct Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluations.