Texas Medical Liability Trust (TMLT) policies covering individual physicians include the Medefense Endorsement, which provides reimbursement for legal and tax audit expenses for disciplinary proceedings.
The endorsement covers:
- Review actions by the Texas Medical Board (TMB);
- Hospital actions regarding clinical privileges;
- Actions by the Texas Department of State Health Services or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services;
- Non-compliance with Medicare/Medicaid regulations, including the Recovery Audit Contractor Program;
- Proceedings alleging violations of EMTALA, HIPAA, or Stark Laws; and
- Federal tax audits.